Re: Different Network Environments

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:37:53PM +0200, kasper.ronning@hut.fi wrote:
> Hi
>
> What package do you recommend for managing different network
> environments? I don't like waiting for ages trying to get a DHCP address
> when I'm at home. I also have three NICs, two of which are WLAN cards.
> Is there some application that can eaasily map a predefined list of
> network settings (including DNS resolving, wireless settings, etc.) to
> interfaces, and then at either bootup or at runtime, choose the network
> environment I'm in?

I like ifplugd & whereami, it can detect where you are based on IP recieved
etc and tweak things to suit (it's all just scripts, so I have create
links for different config, I have /etc/apt/apt.conf-home &
/etc/apt/apt.conf-work, /etc/apt/apt.conf is only ever a symlink to the
appropiate config.  I do the same with galeon pref.js, if only galeon could
handle IP changes reliably, and reload config on SIGHUP!)

McC

-simonm (E: simon@asidua.com W: +44 28 9072 5060 M: +44 7710 836915)
You can have it fast, cheap or good - pick two.                -Henry Ford