Re: USB disk, SCSI , and /etc/fstab

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 05:03, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> is there a way to configure my laptop
> to assign alway the same SCSI dev to my
> USB disk whatever the order they are pluged ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jerome BENOIT

Hi Jerome,
I've seen this question before, and someone mentioned scsidev. It's part
of the scsitools package, and can provide individual names for any scsi
device (and USB and firewire) so that they are always mapped to the same
device name. I haven't used it myself though. Anyway, it might be what
you're looking for:

$ apt-cache show scsitools
Package: scsitools
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 392
Maintainer: Eric Delaunay <delaunay@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.3-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), debconf, util-linux (>= 2.11b-3)
Recommends: wish
Conflicts: hwtools (<< 0.6)
Filename: pool/main/s/scsitools/scsitools_0.3-2_i386.deb
Size: 98556
MD5sum: a87d70c2ee567473b7355f72fbd5eff7
 This package is a collection of tools for manipulating SCSI hardware:
 .
  scsiinfo: displays SCSI drive low-level information and modifies SCSI
            drive settings,
  scsidev: makes permanent SCSI LUN -> devicename connections,
  scsifmt: low-level SCSI formatter,
  sraw: benchmarks raw SCSI I/O rates bypassing the buffer cache,
  scsistop: low-level SCSI drive start/stop program,
  scsi-spin: program to manually spin up and down a SCSI device.
 .
 Be aware that these tools require some knowledge of what are they
 doing to be used properly, not causing damage to your system.

Regards,
Damien