Re: cant get x server running.

edit your /etc/inittab file:

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

That will load you up in text-mode, and not start X automatically.
Run-level 5 starts X automatically, such as id:5:initdefault:
but that is not what you want.  Once you login, during text-mode, you
can type "startx" to start the X server.

You can also press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get back to the terminal while in X,
and type Ctrl-Alt-F7 to go back to X from the terminal.

Have fun.

-Donnie
http://www.darthik.com