cant get x server running.

Hi...

I tried to get Debian going on my Toshiba laptop,(2435 -S 255) and then
also on a desktop with AMD athlon.I got most of what I wanted to install,
however I havent been able to get x server going, and thus no gdm or kdm.
When I boot up, Im taken to the login screen (terminal) and the screen
flickers as I think it tries to start x server. Later I get an error
message,saying couldnot start x server and when I check the log files,
that says : Screens found but(EE). The same sequence occurs on my laptop
as well as the desktop.

I would like to know, where I should start looking to fix this problem.
Should I try to re-install (I did that, varying some configuration
options, but no rsults ) or should I open up xfree86 config file.

Im kind of new to Linux, but would like to dig in this myself and fix this.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you .