Re: Debian on a 486sx thru PCMCIA NIC

On Saturday 01 November 2003 11:29 pm, David Zelinsky wrote:
> I've been trying to do just this, but after configuring the network,
> I'm told "Network is configured but not activated", so I can't
> continue with the network install.  The pcmcia/ethernet is being
> recognized correctly.  But eth0 is never brought up.
>
> This was with a manual network configuration; it did finally work with
> DHCP (after I figured out how to install a DHCP server on my desktop
> machine).  I checked the numbers I was giving it several times, so I
> don't believe it was just a bad configuration.  In fact, if I remember
> right, I did manage to bring the network up manually with ifconfig.
>
> Is this a bug in the installer?  Or am I doing something wrong?
>
> David

I do believe it might be a bug, as I've dealt with the exact same issue. I
thought it was just a problem with my setup, as I do not use the 192.x.x.x
IPs as per the defaults in the configs files. I was, however, able to bypass
the limitation you describe.
Once I did the "set up the network" section, I switched to tty2 (ctrl+alt+F2)
and activated that terminal. I then proceeded to manually edit /etc/pcmcia/
network.opts, inputting my necessary info: IP, netmask, gateway, DNS server,
etc. I then switched back to tty1 and re-ran the "set up the network" section
again. Eth0 was magically brought up, just as it should be. Note that I'm
using static IPs for my LAN setup.
This was the case with the vanilla install floppies as well as the bf2.4
floppies that I'd downloaded from ftp.debian.org.

--

...Rob
Return address obfuscated.