Re: Debian on a 486sx thru PCMCIA NIC

"Dr. Fred M'Bogo" <dr.mbogo@hotpop.com> writes:

> The way I usually bypass not having a cd on a laptop is that I
> install the drivers, configure pcmcia, install the nic (usually from
> the console) and then just configure the network. After that
> everything works as usual.

I've been trying to do just this, but after configuring the network,
I'm told "Network is configured but not activated", so I can't
continue with the network install.  The pcmcia/ethernet is being
recognized correctly.  But eth0 is never brought up.

This was with a manual network configuration; it did finally work with
DHCP (after I figured out how to install a DHCP server on my desktop
machine).  I checked the numbers I was giving it several times, so I
don't believe it was just a bad configuration.  In fact, if I remember
right, I did manage to bring the network up manually with ifconfig.

Is this a bug in the installer?  Or am I doing something wrong?

David