Re: thinkpad 390x

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 22:35, brobinsin@verizon.net wrote:
> I havea thinlpad 390x and the screen has gone blank!  I can still see a gray glow but nothing more.  I have hooked up another moniter and it works fine with the laptop.
> My question is, does it sound like the video card went bad or the screen is bad.  I will be replacing the part myself so I would like to narrow it down before I start spending on parts
> Thanks, Bill

Bill,

It is almost certainly just the lcd screen or the external monitor would
not work if the graphics card/chip was gone.

But before you go buying parts, just check that the ribbon cable
connecting the lcd screen to the motherboard is seated correctly in its
slot.  It is not unknown for this cable to become unseated with the
opening and closing of the lid/screen.

Brendan