Re: reiserfs vs ext3fs

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 22:04, Cláudio Coelho wrote:
> 	The best way is to choose the 2.4 kernel in the install. This allows
> you to choose ext3 or reiserfs right there.
> 	If you dont do it this way, you have to upgrade the kernel later and
> the only way i know of migrating the whole system is using tune2fs -j
> /dev/h?? to migrate from ext2 to ext3. This allows you to migrate even
> your root partition but for that you have to have the ext3 compiled in
> the kernel (not as a module)

You would need support for your root file system compiled in for any
file system you use, since the kernel needs to be able to read the file
system to load the modules.
Could be that this can be bypassed using initrd, but I don't know.

For file systems other then ext3, you could install into a small
partition, create your main partition with the wanted fs and then move
the installation there.
If you do this in text mode or if you have enough memory, then you could
probably get away with installing into the intended swap partition and
after moving the installation to the new partition change it into a swap
partition. Otherwise, at list for ext2 and reiserfs there are partition
resize tools but I don't know anything about their stability.
I am using Reiserfs for my laptop and its quite stable. Has some file
system corruption twice due to system lockdown (I play with the kernels
quite a lot), but they were solved both times using rebuild tree option
in reiserfs fsck.
It does seem a bit slow on ocation for cp/read/write operation but I
belive its the disk and not the reiserfs although I never compared.
My system comes up quite quickly, even after a crash, but, if your
system is stable enough, I don't know how much you would feel the
journal effect.
It doesn't run every boot, unless you system crashed. If you use a
laptop with software suspend and you don't update your kernel much you
probably won't have full restarts to much. If you hav a desktop you
probably won't restart it too much also (unless its a dual boot).

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il