Re: [OT] help in bios update for a japanese laptop (I can't read/speak japanese)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:22:48PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2003 15:49, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> > Hello, sorry for the extremely off-topic, but a bios update for my
> > laptop is badly needed...

[...]
> > I'm looking for a (maibe native) japanese speaking guy who can briefly
> > help in making me understand how to udate the bios of the beast.
> > Sony support in italy carries 20EUR to talk to an autoresponder...
>
> What is written after the /!\ is that you need a PCGA-UFD5 floppy drive to be
> able to upgrade your BIOS.

フロッピーヂィスクドライブ... I see... (I still need big help with
japanese, but I learn quickly)

ouch! this is a bad joke from sony....

> On the other hand, if I correctly understand all it is about (I can't read all
> kanjis), you probably don't really need this update.

The problem I'm having from a couple of weeks is that the CD-RW/DVD-ROM
combo isn't recognized at boot by the bios (it says I have no device
on ide2). I need to shutdown, remove and insert the CD-RW/DVD from the
bay and it works again like a charm.

I've been told it could be an electric contact problem since it's a
removable device, I could try to clean all pins...

> BTW, IIRC (I'm not at home at the moment, but will check then), I have the
> same Vaio model, never upgraded it, and had no problem with it...

me too, until some days ago... Since I found this bios upgrade and
CD-RW/DVD-ROM is mentioned in the third paragraph (the second dotted
list) I really hoped this could solve my problems without having to
struggle with sony support.

Thanks a lot for your help :)
--
mattia