Re: [OT] help in bios update for a japanese laptop (I can't read/speak japanese)

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 15:49, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> Hello, sorry for the extremely off-topic, but a bios update for my
> laptop is badly needed...
>
> Of course my laptop at least runs Debian :) even if a small win2k
> partition still survives for this kind of tasks...
>
> The story:
> I own a vaio gr7/k, a japanese model, I bought during a Tokyo
> vacation in 2001 (oh... japan is such a wonderful place...)
>
> Note: gr7/k is very similar to gr170k(US) and gr214MP (EU) so if anybody
> who already did that could also tell his experience.
>
> I'm looking for a (maibe native) japanese speaking guy who can briefly
> help in making me understand how to udate the bios of the beast.
> Sony support in italy carries 20EUR to talk to an autoresponder...

What is written after the /!\ is that you need a PCGA-UFD5 floppy drive to be
able to upgrade your BIOS.
On the other hand, if I correctly understand all it is about (I can't read all
kanjis), you probably don't really need this update.
BTW, IIRC (I'm not at home at the moment, but will check then), I have the
same Vaio model, never upgraded it, and had no problem with it...

Mike