USB hard drive problem.

Hi,
	I recently set up my laptop (running debian 3.0, with
latest 2.4.18-bf24 kernel) to read from my archos jukebox 20
portable hard-drive/mp3 player by adding the following line to my
/etc/fstab

/dev/sda1       /archos      auto   rw,noauto,user,gid=users,uid=ferrando,umask=
033 0 0

the first time I added this line and tried mount /archos, it worked (which
was nice).
If I boot up the laptop with the drive connected then it works fine,
however if I boot up the laptop then connect the drive and try to mount
/archos then I get

mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

and /proc/scsi/usb/usb-storage, although existing conatins only an empty
file (normally it contains something like: ARCHOS Jukebox connected)

When I previously used this device with SuSE 7.2 I did not observe this
behaviour, so I suppose that something is happening at the init stage that
is odd, since if I comment the line in /etc/fstab reboot the machine, then
plug in the hard drive, then uncomment hte line and try to mount it , it
works again.

Is there a place I can put the mount information (perhaps in automount
scripts) that will me having to edit the fstab script continually, or
reboot when I need to use the hard drive?

				James Ferrando
				james@ferrando.co.uk
				Oxford ZEUS Group