Re: USB hard drive problem.

Citat debianlaptop@ferrando.co.uk:

> Hi,
> 	I recently set up my laptop (running debian 3.0, with
> latest 2.4.18-bf24 kernel) to read from my archos jukebox 20
> portable hard-drive/mp3 player by adding the following line to my
> /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sda1       /archos      auto
> rw,noauto,user,gid=users,uid=ferrando,umask=
> 033 0 0
>
> the first time I added this line and tried mount /archos, it worked (which
> was nice).
> If I boot up the laptop with the drive connected then it works fine,
> however if I boot up the laptop then connect the drive and try to mount
> /archos then I get
>
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
>
> and /proc/scsi/usb/usb-storage, although existing conatins only an empty
> file (normally it contains something like: ARCHOS Jukebox connected)
>
> When I previously used this device with SuSE 7.2 I did not observe this
> behaviour, so I suppose that something is happening at the init stage that
> is odd, since if I comment the line in /etc/fstab reboot the machine, then
> plug in the hard drive, then uncomment hte line and try to mount it , it
> works again.
>
> Is there a place I can put the mount information (perhaps in automount
> scripts) that will me having to edit the fstab script continually, or
> reboot when I need to use the hard drive?

Try download this script: http://www.marlow.dk/tech/src/rescan-scsi-bus.sh.txt

And run it.

It rescan's all scsi-channels (also usb and firewire) and finds all scsi devices
available.

If you removed some devices, you should run it with the "-r" option.

Of course this has to be done as root.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot dk
--
BOFH excuse #84:

Someone is standing on the ethernet cable, causeing a kink in the cable