grip and suspend problems

while using grip my laptop suspends itself uncontrollably. i have a
thinkpad t20 using debian sid, kernel 2.4.21, and grip 3.0.7

on some random track all of a sudden my laptop is suspended. i
un-suspend it. roughly 5-25 seconds later it suspends again. this
process continues until all tracks have been ripped *and* encoded.
as soon as the last track is encoded, the laptop returns to normal

this does not happen consistently, so i dont expect anyone to help me
solve this. but i am wondering if anyone else has had this *strange*

matt zagrabelny