Re: I need a Kernel which supports sounds AND PCMCIA!

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:54:56AM +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2003 10:09, Werner Heuser wrote:
> > > Just compile your own kernel.... get the 2.4.21 kernel from kernel.org
> > > and look at this:
> > > http://www.linuxhelpnetwork.net/tutorials/compile-kernel.php
> >
> > Better look at the Linux Documentation Project:
> >
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/index.html
> >
> > 	Werner
>
> Thanks, I've pulled in the Debian source package for 2.4.21 and I'm using
> make-kpkg rather than the above method. So far I've tried three times and the
> new kernel gets as far as the 'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel'
> stage of boot and then hangs.
>
> I've tried both with and without the make-kpkg --initrd switch (with
> corresponding line in lilo.conf) but it's the same either way. Is there
> something else I should have done? Is there something essential in the
> .config that I might have left out?

yes, many things, also pcmcia you were compiling for :)

try to copy the old config file (/boot/config-bf24 - I can't remember
the name of the file but look for something similar) in the kernel
source tree?

cp /boot/config-* /usr/src/linux/.config

so you have a functional configuration. You can start removing
unnecessary options later on with 'make menuconfig'

hth
--
mattia
:wq!