problem with apt-get

Hey, i have a problem with apt-get........

I am not able to use apt-get. If i run apt-get check or apt-get update or
apt-get install "..." or something like that,
it exits with error
  Unable to parse /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
  The status file could not be opened or parsed.

I tried the file /var/lib/dpkg/status.old but it did not help.
A diff between the files status and status.old gave:

> Package: mtools
>  Mtools is a collection of utilities to access MS-DOS disks from Unix
>  without mounting them. It supports Win'95 style long file names,
>  OS/2 Xdf disks, ZIP/JAZ disks and 2m disks (store up to 1992kB on a
>  high density 3 1/2 disk).
>  .
>  Also included in this package are commands to eject and manipulate
>  the write/password protection control of Zip disks.

I think it's a bigger problem, can anybody help me? Thanks, Dirk