Re: ppp can't get a route?

Thomas Hood wrote:
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 11:47, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
wrote:

It _should_ be automatic.  I use ppp once a week, and ethernet the rest of the
time.  When I bring up ppp it always overrides the default route.  The ppp
config parameter is something obscure like "defaultroute" :-)

	Looks like it refuses to overwrite the existing default route...

pppd won't replace an existing default route, even if it is
given the "defaultroute" option.

my bad. of course not. I did know that once. Now that I think of it, I only have the default route on eth0 if eth0 picked it up from dhcp - which it can't do when I'm home - so of course it always works in my situation.

So... you can put "route del default" into /etc/ppp/ip-up (or if your ip-up does runparts on ip-up.d, then put a script in ip-up.d to do the same), or if that's too late (it might be), try doing the same with /etc/ppp/auth-up. Of course, this might leave you without a defaultroute when pppd terminates, so you might need your script to find the existing default route and restore it in /etc/ppp/ip-down.