Re: howto specifying a default network interface/card

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:42:31PM -0400, Harry Barnes wrote:
> I have a pcmcia wireless card and built-in ethernet. Most of the time I am > plugged in to the ethernet and would like all my network related stuff to > use that as opposed to wireless. Is there anyway to tell the system that ?

Are you running with both interfaces on all the time? You could turn
off the other,
ifdown eth1
or
ifdown eth0
as needed.
This is my current workaround which requires me to su and bring down eth1 each time I startup unless I am in a purely wireless environment

> eth0 = built-in ethernet port
> eth1 = wireless(3com office connect with xjack)

Otherwise, if I understand correctly what you want, you can set
default route to go to Ethernet. See what
netstat -rn
shows and change with the route command.

You can also look in /etc/network/interfaces, read
man 5 interfaces
to set it so that Ethernet is used when it is on. I should think it is
set up this way automatically unless you run both interfaces at the
same time and wireless is set up after Ethernet, so default route goes
to wireless.

Yep, this is what is happening - is there any an automatic way to change this ?
Either get eth0 to set up last or automatically change the routing table

Here is what my /etc/network/interfaces looks like

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
auto eth0
iface eth1 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet dhcp

the routing table has eth1 above eth0.

From the man page of the route command - i am guessing i will have to remove
eth0 and then put it back in to make it the default so ifdown eth1 looks like a better option at the moment