Re: Debian <---> Gentoo

[20030625] Johannes Graumann (johannes_graumann@web.de) wrote:

> Hello,

Hello

> This might be a provoking question but I was wondering whether anybody on the list had tried Gentoo Linux ... I get the impression that the custom compiling done through this distribution might be the right thing for the limited resources of a laptop?
> Please let me hear your opinion!

[I hope this is not the begginning of a distro flame war :D]

I've tried both gentoo & debian on my Compaq Presario 724EA & on
my home & work desktop boxes & servers.
On a fast desktop computer with lots of ram & a speedy hdd
gentoo is nice. KDE compiled with "-march=athlon-xp -O3
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" feels quite fast & everything feels
a little bit faster than debian. The drawback is that it took me
~2 days to set it up :)
On my notebook I installed Debian Unstable 2 days ago from the
ground up to a full blown installation with X & openoffice in
~90 mins :) The only thing I compiled was kernel-2.4.21 with
ACPI & alsa. I think you see the difference...
Plus compiling everything creates heat & most notebooks' cooling
systems aren't quite efficient on that matter, so you can easily
break your hardware.
At work, definately debian (woody on servers & sid on desktops),
that way I have more free time for myself instead of waiting
hours & hours for mozilla/kde/samba/whatever to compile :)
However if you need that extra speed on mozilla or kde you can
always use apt-build in debian for these packages...

--
Manolis Tzanidakis
(mtzanidakis-at-freemail-dot-gr)