Re: can't bring up eth0 correctly

    "charles" == charles yoo <me@charlesyoo.com> writes:

    charles> I should have written /etc/network/interfaces.  In
    charles> reading a few things on the net, a lot of people
    charles> suggested to have the autho eth0 commented out.  This is
    charles> for a laptop.  I'm coming from redhat, and once dhcp is
    charles> set, you can more or less leave it that way.

And so it is on Debian, but you need some additinal packages for the
laptop case where you plug/unplug cables frequently.

    charles> All that I'm trying to do at the moment is get eth0 up
    charles> and running.  I get alerts saying that there is no such
    charles> process or device.

Hmm....you are confusing issues here. Does 'ifup eth0' bring up your
ethernet device with a valid dhcp address or not? If not, your problem
is probably from recompiling your kernel and not including (a) the
correct driver or (b) not setting the packet filter options (this is
not redhat, so you use ISC DHCP unless you installed pump, by
default).

    charles> When I restart networking, I expect to see eth0 come up,
    charles> but it doesn't.

That is as it should, because you commented out the 'auto eth0' line.

    charles> In /etc/network/interfaces, I have the following
    charles> information

    charles> I am basically looking to configure for dhcp only.  I
    charles> have removed netenv, because it did not seem to work too
    charles> well for me.  Maybe misconfigured.

Just add back the 'auto eth0' - removing it makes sense for PCMCIA
ethernet cards - and install laptop-net to ensure that dhcp does not
hang when you boot without a cable in the ethernet socket.

Cheers!
Shyamal
    charles> -----Original Message----- From: Jason Kraftcheck
    charles> [mailto:kraftche@cae.wisc.edu] Sent: Monday, June 16,
    charles> 2003 5:49 PM To: me@charlesyoo.com Cc:
    charles> debian-laptop@lists.debian.org Subject: Re: can't bring
    charles> up eth0 correctly

    charles> charles yoo wrote:
    >> I just went through my woody install on Inspiron 8200.  On the
    >> initial installation, it gets its ip via dhcp.  All good.  I
    >> did an apt-get for the 2.4-18 kernel, recompiled it with some
    >> changes, restart and no more.  On ifconfig I see lo and eth0,
    >> but I don't get anything.
    >>

    >> In /etc/interfaces I have auto eth0 commented out and eth0 set
    >> for dhcp.

    charles> Shouldn't that be "/etc/network/interfaces"?

    charles> I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do,
    charles> and what exactly is failing.  The line "auto eth0" that
    charles> you commented out is the line that causes the interface
    charles> to be configured on boot.  It is quite common to not want
    charles> the interface to be configured on boot for a laptop.
    charles> However, if you remove the 'auto' entry, you need
    charles> manually bring up the interface using 'ifup eth0'.  Have
    charles> you tried doing that?

    >>  If I manually try to assign the numbers it seems like it takes
    >> it.  But when I add route gateway, I get that there is no such
    >> device.

    charles> Did you bring up the interface after setting the address?
    charles> Presumably you are using ifconfig to set the address.
    charles> Try "ifconfig eth0 up".

    >> Any suggestions?

    charles> Your /etc/network/interfaces file should look something
    charles> like this:

    charles> #auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp

    charles> You should then bring up the interface by doing: ifup
    charles> eth0

    charles> If the interface fails to come up, check your system logs
    charles> for error messages.

    charles> I think you might need to post a bit more information
    charles> before anyone can be any more specific with an answer.
    charles> What is the network chip?  Is it pcmcia/pccard or
    charles> internal?  What are the contents of your
    charles> /etc/network/interfaces What commands are you using to
    charles> set the IP address?  What error message are you getting
    charles> when you try to set the default route?  What related
    charles> error messages are you seeing in your syslog?  What dhcp
    charles> client do you have installed?

    charles> -- jason

    charles> -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
    charles> debian-laptop-request@lists.debian.org with a subject of
    charles> "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
    charles> listmaster@lists.debian.org