Re: Linksys WPC11 -- orinoco or prism2?

Hi Hugh,

----- Original message follows----- Hugh Saunders
>> Where do you have your WEP config settings stored?
>
> In /etc/wlan.conf I have SSID_wlan0="stokerec"
> Then i store my wep settings in /etc/wlan/wlancfg-stokerec

Hrm, which version of Debian are you running?  (I've got a
/etc/wlan/wlan.conf, but no /etc/wlan.conf).

> note: i do not want comments about the stupidness of publishing wepkeys.
>
> [507]hugh@anni:/etc/wlan$ cat wlancfg-stokerec

That helped a great deal -- thank you.

But for some reason, I still can't get my NIC to come up.  From what I've
read and done, I've rebuilt my kernel (now 2.4.21) WITHOUT pcmcia support
(General setup -> PCMCIA/CardBus support), and YES to "Network device
support -> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) -> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio),
Hermes chipset 802.11b support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol)" and have built
pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 and linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre8 from their respective
sources.

Do you have anything in your /etc/modules about your 'wlan0' interface or
any of the modules for that NIC?  Also, what do you have for the *WPC*
stanzas in your /etc/pcmcia/config?

Mine has "bind "orinoco_cs"" on both so that driver gets loaded by
default.    And if you could include the output of an 'lsmod' and 'cardctl
ident' on your box, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again for all of your help,

-Charlie