Re: Linksys WPC11 -- orinoco or prism2?

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 11:34:50PM -0700, debian-laptop@gory.org wrote:
> Hrm, which version of Debian are you running?  (I've got a
> /etc/wlan/wlan.conf, but no /etc/wlan.conf).
sorry typo. [thinko maybe?]
if it helps, unstable :D

> But for some reason, I still can't get my NIC to come up.  From what I've
> read and done, I've rebuilt my kernel (now 2.4.21) WITHOUT pcmcia support
> (General setup -> PCMCIA/CardBus support), and YES to "Network device
> support -> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) -> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio),
> Hermes chipset 802.11b support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol)" and have built
> pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 and linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre8 from their respective
> sources.
works for me with the kernel pcmica stuff. [2.4.21]

But.. i have never got the wireless nic to come up automatically. Prob
cause i havent bothered to learn how to put the wireless stuff in
/etc/network/interfaces [path maybe wrong, from the top of my head ;-) ]
That is one thing that sucks about the wlan-ng stuff, no wireless extensions :(

i use a nasty script, bad way of doing things but works

#!/bin/sh
/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng start wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 inet 192.168.0.10 up
route del default
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

> Do you have anything in your /etc/modules about your 'wlan0' interface or
> any of the modules for that NIC?  Also, what do you have for the *WPC*
> stanzas in your /etc/pcmcia/config?
card "Linksys WPC11 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card"
  version "Instant Wireless ", " Network PC CARD", "Version 01.02"
 bind "orinoco_cs"

funny that, cause i dont use the orinoco drivers!

[51]root@anni:/home/hugh$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
lt_serial              17620   2
vfat                   10796   1  (autoclean)
fat                    31736   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
cipher-rc6             10036   1
cryptoloop              1948   1
cryptoapi               4236   5  [cipher-rc6 cryptoloop]
loop                    9656   3  [cryptoloop]
lt_modem              472155   0  [lt_serial]
smbfs                  38928   1
smapi                   3152   0
thinkpad                2436   0  [smapi]
i810_audio             24508   1
prism2_cs              66128   2
p80211                 19168   0  [prism2_cs]

> if you could include the output of an 'lsmod'
done :)

> and 'cardctl  ident' on your box, I would really appreciate it.
[52]root@anni:/home/hugh$ cardctl ident 0
Socket 0:
  product info: "The Linksys Group, Inc.", "Instant Wireless Network PC Card", "ISL37300P", "RevA"
  manfid: 0x0274, 0x1613
  function: 6 (network)

hope that helps,

--