Re: battery fsck

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 04:54:09PM +0100, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 04:09:34PM +0200, Gavriel FLEISCHER wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 08:48:32AM +0100, Hugh Saunders <hugh@mjr.org> wrote:
> > > battery? or can i pass a kernel parameter to prevent fsck?
> >
> >     if test -x /usr/bin/on_ac_power
> >     then
> > #do the stuff
> > fi
> >
> > on_ac_power is in powermgmt-base.deb
> >

> > > [using ext3]
> > Well I have the last column of /etc/fstab set to 0 on ext3 filesystems. No
> > fsck at all. When needed recovery is done automatically anyway (max 5 sec).
> ah, so fsck isnt needed with ext3? ihad noticed that after a crash it
> doesnt fsck, it does ext3 recovery but it does fsck every 30 something
> mounts. If fsck isnt necessary ill tune2fs to prevent fsck and the
> battery thing will be irelevent :D

An occasional fsck is a Good Thing, even on a journalled filesystem like
ext3 or reiserfs. If the filesystem knows it is corrupt, it will fix it,
however, if the corruption happens without ext3 knowing about it - due
to a bug in the kernel, say - the filesystem will stay corrupt until
something forces a fsck. You could make it less frequent, and set it
to a time period rather than a number of remounts (see tune2fs -i),
especially if you don't reboot the machine often.

hth

--
/__
\_|\/