Re: Debian Linux on a Gericom A2

nb wrote:
Hi,

Did you succeed in installing Debian Linux on your Gericom A2 ?
If so please give me your lsmod results.
I'm interesting in buying one.
Any feedback about this machine is welcome.

Regards
I succeeded. But I would not go so far and call it a success. The native installer didnt work since the CD ROM is an external USB 2 drive. The standard installer (and the standard kernel) has not enough ACPI support built in to get the correct list of interrupts and such so from a point on it just hangs.

My workaround:
- Resize the one XP partition using Partition Magic
- Create three new partitions using Partition Magic (ext3, swap, ext3)
- Create a new virtual machine using vmware that will the harddrive
  (no virtual drive)
- Installed Woody into this virtual machine
- Installed lilo
- Copied the MRB lilo information into a file and copied this
  information to the XP partition
- After this I was able to boot.
- But since the kernel didnt detect all of the devices and interrupts
  the network interface, PCCARD slot and such were not detected

Thats it so far and I did not have the time to start another try
using a custom kernel with the ACPIp patch applied (will be the next step).

If I was to choose again I would not go for the Gericom again though it looks very nice. Instead, I would think about bying the small Dell notebook.

Xela