Newbie source build question for wireless network

Hi,

Newbie question so don't laugh.

I'm connecting an old laptop to my Mac Airport wireless network using a Lucent Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.

In order to do so, I need to compile PCMCIA source and the Orinoco cards source code. The Orinoco install instructions involve un-tarring the cards source code into the pcmcia source code directory and the making the code.

So far, so good.

My problem is that I don't want to install debian onto a machine, specifically for its fantastic package management abilities only to break it by messing around with source code builds outside of the apt/dselect sandbox. Especially as making the pcmcia source might install into non-debian standard locations on the file system.

Anybody have any advice?

Andy