Re: Newbie source build question for wireless network

On Thu, 15 May 2003 13:25:33 +0000
Andrew Scott <andrew.scott@nextstepsolutions.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm connecting an old laptop to my Mac Airport wireless network using a
> Lucent Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
>
> In order to do so, I need to compile PCMCIA source and the Orinoco cards
> source code.
> The Orinoco install instructions involve un-tarring the cards source
> code into the pcmcia source code directory and the making the code.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> My problem is that I don't want to install debian onto a machine,
> specifically for its fantastic package management abilities only to
> break it by messing around with source code builds outside of the
> apt/dselect sandbox.
> Especially as making the pcmcia source might install into non-debian
> standard locations on the file system.

Go here to see how to add modules to an already-existing kernel:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

It's in the Advanced Topics section.

All the source code you need is in the pcmcia-source package.

Kevin