Re: ACPI on Compaq Presario 1400

On Sunday 11 May 2003 1:12 am, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> This looks like it could be a lot of fun OR it could seriously hose my
> system!  I am not overly concerned about damaging the system since I can
> easily re-install if it leads to a worse case scenario :)  I am running
> Libranet's 2.8 release which includes 2.4.20 kernel.  I had already
> compiled a few kernels on my way to acpi functionality.  Therefore, I have
> a symlinked linux directory pointing to kernel-source.  Would it be wise to
> run a 'make clean' before I begin the patch?  Here is what I *think* I
> understand--(while also attempting to comprehend 'man patch'):
>
> In /usr/src (as root) run:
> patch -p0 linux patch/ck6_2.4.20.patch
>
> in /usr/src/linux (as root):
>
> patch -p1 * /usr/src/patch/020_int_030417_ck_2.4.20.patch
>
> & then:
>
> patch -p1 * /usr/src/patch/rmap15f_030416_ck_2.4.20.patch
>
> I am a little unclear about the kernel-source name on these, does a
> wildcard '*' work or do I need something else?  If this looks like it
> should work then I'll begin.  I repeat, I am a complete Gnuewbie when it
> comes to patching, this is all new-2-me :)
>
> Thanks again

looks good. yes, you can use wildcards if you like, just make sure you have
the path name correct and wildcard the file name (I am sure you know that)

as far as hoseing your system, as long as you keep your old kernel and lilo
settings while you test your new kernel (say you biff your network setup in
the kernel) you will need the old kernel to boot to a usable system.

just name the new kernel vmlinuz2.4.xx where xx is the patch level of the
source you are working with.  make sure that you place the new kernel in
/boot, and then just copy the stuff from your working kernel entry in lilo
and give it a new lable and new path for the kernel coresponding to your new
image name. then run lilo. the next time you reboot you should get 2 options
from lilo (if you do not see the lilo menu hit shift) select your new kernel
and test it out. if it does not work then you can reboot and use the old
kernel.

have fun,

Jeremy