Re: ACPI on Compaq Presario 1400

> Jeremy,
>
> The link you added is very exciting.  I have a  Gateway solo1200
> w/celery850MHz cpu.  I am going to try the patch and see if I kill the box!
>
> :)  Would you say that this howto is okay for newbies to follow if they
> : don't
>
> already know how to patch kernel source?
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/patching_the_kernel.html
>
> It was suggested that I build my nic driver into the kernel instead of
> wierd fast-download/slow-upload problem, I will report it back to the list.
>
> tia, wishing you well

Jaye,

I would bookmark that how-to but don't read it unless you rin into any
trouble.

basicly, download that full patch (and mabye even the o(1) interactive proc
scheduler patch and the rmap vm)

then download the vanilla kernel . unpack the kernel in /usr/src and un pack
the patches into the same dir...you might want to have a paches dir for your
kernel version to keep the patches in.

anyway. once it is all set up,  in the /usr/src dir type:

patch -p0 <patchname.patch    (include the path name of the patch)

for the O(1) and rmap patches you need to be in the kernel source directory
and when you are in the kernel source dir to apply patches you need to type:

patch -p1 <patchname.patch (also include the path name)

if all goes well you willget a long list of files being modified. in reguards
to the rmap patch it will ask you if you want to rip out the old vm patch
(the full patch puts in a diffrent VM)  allow it to do so.

then compile your kernel, you will need to turn on premption, lowlatency and
ACPI etc. but the scheduler and rmap vm will just work.

have fun

Jeremy