Re: XFree86, i830m, 1400x1050

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:13:21PM +0200, Herbert Volkmann wrote:
> Hej guys!
>
> Does anybody know if it is possible to get a resolution of about
> 1400x1050 with an intel i830m chipset??
> The main problem seems to be that the Acer BIOS does not have a VESA
> mode entry for the specified resolution. For some reason XFree uses this
> mode table to determine what can be done; because the mode is missing
> the machine cannot be put in that resolution.
>
> Is it possible to patch the firmware, download another driver all except
> change the laptop!!
> I tried to ask intel for a patch and I tried to ask dawes, a guy of the
> XFree Project who has written a version of the driver.

Hi,

What modell is it? If it's one of those 620 series you have to stick
with a 1280x1024 cutted/centered resolution. I recently had one myself
and had exactly the same problem/frustration. That goes for the latest
XFree86 4.3 drivers too.

Get one of the 630 series, they're shipped with a nice GeForce Quadro
card and it works nice in 1400x1050 with nVidias own Linux and FreeBSD
drivers.

The 620-series Acer laptops is nothing but the perfect thing for Windows lovers.

regards,

Espen Tagestad

--
___ Modula ANS             | Sinsenveien 22       | 0572 Oslo, Norway
___ Tel: +47 40 49 77 04   | Fax: +47 22 35 32 16 | Mob: +47 91 87 49 23