Re: XFree86, i830m, 1400x1050

Espen Tagestad wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:13:21PM +0200, Herbert Volkmann wrote:
> > Hej guys!
> >
> > Does anybody know if it is possible to get a resolution of about
> > 1400x1050 with an intel i830m chipset??
> > The main problem seems to be that the Acer BIOS does not have a VESA
> > mode entry for the specified resolution. For some reason XFree uses this
> > mode table to determine what can be done; because the mode is missing
> > the machine cannot be put in that resolution.
> >
> > Is it possible to patch the firmware, download another driver all except
> > change the laptop!!
> > I tried to ask intel for a patch and I tried to ask dawes, a guy of the
> > XFree Project who has written a version of the driver.
>
> Hi,
>
> What modell is it? If it's one of those 620 series you have to stick
> with a 1280x1024 cutted/centered resolution. I recently had one myself
> and had exactly the same problem/frustration. That goes for the latest
> XFree86 4.3 drivers too.
>
> Get one of the 630 series, they're shipped with a nice GeForce Quadro
> card and it works nice in 1400x1050 with nVidias own Linux and FreeBSD
> drivers.

Actually the chip in my 632 is nvidia geforce2go (not quadro).  Not that
it matters much (to me), as you say X's working fine using nvidias
driver.
  I should admit that I haven't yet tried tvout running linux though.

> The 620-series Acer laptops is nothing but the perfect thing for Windows lovers.

Hi, windows lost its last reason to exist when I found RTCW for linux
;-)

Regards,
	Emil