Re: PSION 56k + 10/100 PCMCIA-card (cardbus)

From: "Jan Braun" <Rektorassistent@tu-clausthal.de>

> I got a Psion Gold Card Netglobal 56K+10/100Mb cardbus card and try to
> run it an an ACER Travelmate 212 TX.
>
> The kernel is capcable of pcmcia-cards.  It is even capable of this
> card, but I didn't manage to configure this card automatically :-(  I
> tried instead a different PCMCIA ethernet card with success.
>
> When inserting the card into the cardbus slot, the cardmgr does not
> allways beep, but if it does, the following could be read in
> /var/log/messages:

What do you mean by "does not always beep"?  If you insert the card, remove it
and insert it a second time, does it beep on every second insert?  This is
consistent with my PCMCIA/Cardbus interfaces under Linux. It's not the
particular card, because it happens with both my network cards.  My older card
also has a modem which worked under 2.2 and earlier kernels but doesn't work on
2.4 or 2.5, but I haven't needed it in a long time as the laptop's built-in
modem is much faster.  However, in my case I just get a module error on
serial_cs (or something like that - I haven't used it for ages) and it goes
ahead and initializes the ethernet.

Obviously fixing the 'does not always beep' condition wouldn't affect the
underlying problem (which I can't help with) but if you're like me, once I found
that the situation was consistent and that the card would be recognized on every
second insertion, I realized I could live with it.

derek