Re: IBM Thinkpad R40

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2003, Thomas Marquart wrote:
> [...]
> > Second, more important, APM. The laptop comes back up after suspend,
> > but although the screen turns on, it stays black and I have no idea
> > how to get the picture back.
>
> I have only used Linux on an A31p, but the issue you face is probably
> the same as mine -- the screen turns off because of a software bug
> triggering a hardware ... oddity.[1]
>
> Fn-F7 toggles the set of display devices active (CRT, LCD, Both), so
> cycling through that will restore the screen from the state of backlit
> but no image, at least for me.
thanks for the tip, but it does not work with me, actually I think it maybe
the button itself which does not work with linux (it is the right button
anyhow and works with "the other OS"). Anybody know, how to activate it?

> OTOH, my machine currently hangs hard trying to return from APM suspend,
> so YMMV.
yes, I had that sometimes, too.

[...]
> Footnotes:
> [1]  I don't say bug because it may not be; the latest XFree86
>      pre-release packages claim to avoid writing the same value into a
>      Radeon register twice as this causes screen blanking...
well, maybe I'll try get one of those (never compiled X before)...

greetings
thomas
--
Go out and tell a lie that will make the whole family proud of you.
		-- Cadmus, to Pentheus, in "The Bacchae" by Euripides

(Signature generated automatically by fortune)
* thomas marquart * tom@uni-hd.de * http://tom.uni-hd.de *