Re: IBM Thinkpad R40

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Thomas Marquart wrote:

[...]

> Second, more important, APM. The laptop comes back up after suspend,
> but although the screen turns on, it stays black and I have no idea
> how to get the picture back.

I have only used Linux on an A31p, but the issue you face is probably
the same as mine -- the screen turns off because of a software bug
triggering a hardware ... oddity.[1]

Fn-F7 toggles the set of display devices active (CRT, LCD, Both), so
cycling through that will restore the screen from the state of backlit
but no image, at least for me.

OTOH, my machine currently hangs hard trying to return from APM suspend,
so YMMV.

   Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I don't say bug because it may not be; the latest XFree86
     pre-release packages claim to avoid writing the same value into a
     Radeon register twice as this causes screen blanking...

--
The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose
that I am here and you are there.