Sound on a ThinkPad 560X

I have an old ThinkPad 560X which I use as a router/gateway/firewall with my
cable modem.  Now I'd also like to pipe music from the web into the 560 and
output it thru the headphone jack to my amplifier.  Problem is, I can't seem
to find the right driver for the 560's sound card, a CS4237B.

I've tried loading the sound blaster drivers because the CS4237B has a SB
compatibility mode, but as the Sound HOWTO predicted, that was a waste of
time.  I tried loading the ALSA drivers but snd-4236 reports that no
soundcard was found.

I can load the OSS/Free driver CS4236 although ad1848 does report that no
ISAPnP cards were found.  I then try alsaplayer with an OSS output module to
play a tune.  The sound card does produce music very, very faintly and the
external volume control has not effect.  I tried the volume parameter on
alsaplayer -- no help.  I tried using mpg123 with the same result.

The archives don't seem to offer any guidance here either.  If anyone can
give me some pointers I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Tom