Re: How many of you?

Knoppix (debian linux booted and run from a CD) is great for
evaluating a laptop for Linux compatibility. I bought
a laptop that ran 99% fine when booted with Knoppix
(X, USB mouse, PCMICA, wifi card and everything else.)
When I started to install debian on my own I found
out how much work was involved to get to same functionality.
A real PITA.

A friend showed me how to install debian from the Knoppix CD.
It works great; Boot knoppix, run a root shell, and run
knx-hdinstall. (I partitioned my disk first, with Partitin Magic.) Configure LILO as needed, reboot and do an apt-get upgrade to freshen up all the packages.

You wind up with a _very_ complete user machine.

Joao Pedro Clemente wrote:
Reading this list with interest a thought occurs to me.

How many of you have actually installed linux on a laptop and not had to
configure more than one or two programs to get a working system.

I'm not talking about configuring it to how you like it, I'm talking about it
just working so that you can get the work done with no fuss.

I found that installing my laptop was no easier or harder than the
desktops I've setup before. If the hardware is well supported, I think
the installer will give you a nice system to work with. I actually have
done it the hard way, either on laptop or desktop systems: I've skipped
the installer as soon as I could and choose the packages I wanted by
"apt-gettting" them..

(Im my particular laptop install, I had to deal with xfree configuration,
but just because xfree from woody would not run my ati 7500. Going to
xfree from sarge worked it.)