Re: ACPI and kernel patching (was: I fried my Sony Vaio PCG-FXA678)

From: "Jan T. Kim" <kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de>

> I recently got a Toshiba Satellite 5100 notebook, which, as far as I
> learned, is "legacy free", i.e. it has no traditional BIOS which includes
> not having APM. I installed Debian 3.0 (stable), and the fan on this
> machine gets on and off (with kernel-image-2.4.18-686).
>
> So, it seems that it is not generally such that the fan is dead with a
> plain vanilla kernel.

I'll guarantee that that isn't being done by ACPI in the kernel.  It's probably
not under software control at all. My Dell i2500 does the same, and it has no
ACPI support for the fan (and a plain vanilla 2.4.18 kernel won't either).

> In the meantime, I have applied the toshiba ACPI kernel patch, which gives
> me the corresponding /proc entry. In /proc/acpi/toshiba/fan/status, there
> are two entries, "running" indicates whether the fan is on, and "force_on"
> indicates whether the fan is permanently on due to user request. There is
> no "force_off", and rightly so, I'd say.

Manufacturer choice.  If the manufacture allowed that, they'd have to also
program the thermal trips to force it right back on if temperature wasn't going
down.