Re: Getting wifi to work on my vaio with Debian

Am Die, 2003-04-29 um 00.46 schrieb Larry Colen:
> I've tried to RTFM, but all the howtos I've found either assume that I
> know something I don't, or are step by step recipies for a different
> system (step 1, download the RPMs), or are out of date.
>
> What are the basic steps for getting a pcmcia wireless card to work on
> a debian laptop?
>
> Find out what card the system thinks I have.
> Compile the module?

Most of the time the module is already part of Debian.
Since you don't give us any information about the card, i can't say
more.

The output of /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog when inserting the
card would be of use now....

> twiddle some file so cardmgr is happy

This isn't necessary most of the time, but without any info.........

> twiddle some other file so the networking system is happy

Edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts. The file is self-explaining.
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice