Re: Need help configuring wlan - Belkin F5D6020Y PC-card

Hi Thomas.

Am Mon, 2003-04-28 um 09.43 schrieb Thomas Nyman:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running "sid" and have a netgear ME102 access point connected to my
> nework hub. My network does not use dhcp, all ipadresses are static
> adresses. The ME102 works fine with the Belkin F5D6020Y PC-card when
> connecting via a windows laptop, so the configuration for the ME102
> Accesspoint is correct and functioning (it has been assigned essid =
> wireless).

I'm running woody with a Belkin F5D6020F (notice the "F" at the end).

> The network looks like this. Server 192.168.1.1 (which is also the
> gateway), the accesspoint has 192.168.1.5 and the laptop has 192.168.1.4.
> The laptop has a built in ethernet card (ee100pro) which is assigned eth0.
>
> Below is some info from syslog, iwconfig, cardctl etc. After the info you
> can find my questions.
>
> iwconfig eth1 gives the following output:
> IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"Prism I"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2,462GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
> Bit Rate:11Mb/s  Tx-Power=15 dbm  Sensitivity: 1/3
> Retry min limit:8 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management: off
> Link Quality: 0/92 SIgnal level: 134/153 Noise level: 134/153
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessiv retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Looks like your card isn't confugured at all...

> cardctl ident outputs the following;
> Socket 1:
> product info: "Belkin", "11Mbps Wireless Notebook Network Adapter",
> "Version 01.02", ""
> manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
> function: 6 (network)
>
> var/log/dmesg doesnt show any relevant info, however var/log/syslog shows
> the following;
>
> cardmgr[245]: error in file 'config' line 1231: unknown device 'pcmf504'
> cardmgr[245]:watching 2 sockets
> cardmgr[246]: starting version is 3.2.2
> cardmgr[246]: socket 1: Intersil Prism2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter
> cardmgr[246]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
> kernel: hermes.c: 16 jan 2002 David Gibson
> kernel: orinoco.c 0.09b
> kernel: orinoco_cs.c 0.09b
> kernel: eth1: station identity 001f:0003:0000:0008
> kernel: eth1: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 0.08
> kernel: eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
> kernel: eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
> kernel: eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
> kernel: eth1: MAC adress "gives correct MAC-adress here - my note"
> kernel: eth1: Station name "Prism I"
> kernel: eth1: ready
> kernel: eth1: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
> cardmgr[246]: executing: './network start eth1'
> cardmagr[246]: + /sbin/ifup: interface eth1 already configured

Looks good to me. The driver gets loaded automagically so the card
should work alright.

> If i try to do iwconfig eth1 ap any i receive the following error
> Error for wireless request "Set AP Adress" (8B14) :
> SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.

Maybe your card doesn't support an ESSID of "any"?

> and finally ifconfig eth1 gives the following;
>
> Link encap: Ethernet HWadrr "correct adress- my note"
> BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> Interrupt:3 Base adress:0x100
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) The primary question - how do i get it to work with my accesspoint?

Have a look at /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts

Your config should look similar to this:

*,*,*,*)
    INFO="Normale Einstellungen @home"
    # ESSID (extended network name) : My Network, any
    ESSID="wireless"
    # NWID/Domain (cell identifier) : 89AB, 100, off
    NWID=""
    # Operation mode : Ad-Hoc, Managed, Master, Repeater, Secondary,
auto
    MODE="Managed"
    # Frequency or channel : 1, 2, 3 (channel) ; 2.422G, 2.46G
(frequency)
    FREQ=""
    CHANNEL=""
    # Sensitivity (cell size + roaming speed) : 1, 2, 3 ; -70 (dBm)
    SENS=""
    # Bit rate : auto, 1M, 11M
    RATE=""
    KEY="YOUR KEY HERE restricted"
    # RTS threshold : off, 500
    RTS=""
    # Fragmentation threshold : off, 1000
    FRAG=""
    # Other iwconfig parameters : power off, ap 01:23:45:67:89:AB
    IWCONFIG=""
    # iwspy parameters : + 01:23:45:67:89:AB
    IWSPY=""
    # iwpriv parameters : set_port 2, set_histo 50 60
    IWPRIV=""
    ;;

If you fill in the values, your card will be configured when inserted.
Also check /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to set the IP and other stuff.

> 2) What is "Intersil firmware" and why does kernel report "Station name
> Prism I"? DOes this mean my card is communicating with another accesspoint
> than my own?

Nope, the ESSID of "Prism I" is a default which is used because you
didn't tell it otherwise (by editing wireless.opts)

> 3) I have noted when googling that Belkin F5D6020u has a Atmel AT76C502?A
> chipset and that they recommend AtmelWLANDriver project..i gave it a shot
> but to no avail, although i think i goofed the install. Can someone help
> explain how debian handles pcmcia, i have noticed there are files in both
> /etc/network and /etc/pcmcia that seem relevant.

Only /etc/pcmcia is relevant for PCMCIA cards.

> I have tried to get my
> system to use another driver than orinoco but to no avail, which suggests
> that i am not making changes in the correct place.

No need to, orinoco is the driver you want.

> 4) when i first tried to connect to the access point i once succeeded in
> getting the card to register with my access point, but i have never been
> able to get it to do again - see the results of iwconfig eth1 ap any - i'm
> guessing that its an encryption problem and i have not quite been able to
> figure out how to set encryption. Yes i know the command suggested by
> iwconfig man but it doesnt seem to help.

I had a lot of probs getting WEP to work...you may want to try without
it first. You can enable WEP later after you get your card working.

> 5) Arrrrgghhhh i'm going mad - what can i do?

Get a beer and relax.

> 6) while your at it - what is the meaning of life?.

Hehe nice one ;)

> Anyway, thanks for taking time to read this, any responses can be sent
> directly to me.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice