Re: Cannot Mount CDRom and Sound Issuses

On Sunday 27 April 2003 18:35, Frank wrote:
> Im using Debian Unstable
>
> On my desktop machines I can mount /cdrom and then I will be able to see
> the cdrom but on my laptop I cannot. I tried mount /cdrom and mount
> /dev/cdrom and mount /dev/hdc but nothing works. I just have 1 cdrom drive
> in my laptop and im lost to how to access it.

look at dmesg, it should help point to which device is the cd.  I have seen it
be hdb, hdc, and hde on various laptops.

> On to the sound issues. I ran sndconfig and it said that it found a pci
> sound card and when it tried to play a test sound I couldnt hear it. Then I
> looked at my xconsole and it said it found the same card and using AC_97. I
> still cannot get sound and I have a Conexant audio card. How can I get
> sound?

there are many new versions of the AC97 chipset which do not work with the
current 2.4.20 kernel.  The Alan Cox series fixes this.  You can grab the
source of the latest RH kernel from their ftp site and use it.  I have had to
for two of my machines.