Re: urgent doubt

bolopsicadelico@aeiou.pt wrote:

Good evening. I have experienced a problem while installing Debian GNU
Linux(Woody version)on my Laptop. It seems that the main instalation
screen,the one which appears when you make the boot from CD,does not
appear completly! there's a small part that doesn't appear,probably
due to bad display config.This won't let me see the main function
buttons on partitioning the disk for Debian Linux.
I have an Airis Mercurio P4-2,5Ghz with a SiS650 graphics chipset.
Can you please help me?

Thank You

instant_karma

CO.PT - domínios internet: Livre, Instantâneo!
http://www.co.pt

Hi,

You have to install debian using the vesa framebuffer, instead of the usual video driver,
when you get the lilo prompt, you should type something like:

linux video=vesa vga=791

vga=791 means vga resolution of 1024x768 16 color bits

then after you install, you should choose the kernel-source package and patch it for
a working video driver that supports sis6xx chipsets.

Those drivers can be found on:
http://www.winischhofer.net/

At that site you can learn exactly how to patch the kernel and the X-window to
support hardware acceleration.

Paulo Lopes,

PS:
remember after you install debian and whenever you reboot, while you haven't
patched your kernel you'll have to start your linux with

linux video=vesa vga=791

if you don't want a high resolution display on console mode, just ignore the
vga=791.