Help with pcmcia

Hey, I have an IBM Thinkpad 560z that I am wrestling
to get Debian on to.  The machine has no CD or floppy
drive, so in order to install I got a hard drive pin
converter and threw it into a desktop, and installed
from a knoppix CD. I installed a 2.4.20-xrfs kernel.
Threw the drive back into the machine,fixed the
strange vga settings, and moved on to configuring
ethernet support.  WhenI was given the machine it
was running Win98 and both sockets and cards modem and
ethernet were working.

Through a few google searches I found that pcmcia
support on my machine can be obtaned through these
modules:
yenta_socket
pcmcia_core,
 and that my ethernet card, a Linksys EC2T, uses
pcnet_cs .

All of these modules are loaded (checked lsmod). When
I try to find the card with cardmgr I get the
following error:

root@box/home/user# cardmgr
cardmgr[2433]: error in file 'config' line 1177:
parse error, unexpected
$undefined., expecting STRINGcardmgr[2433]:
open_sock(socket 0) failed:
Device orresources busy
cardmgr[2433]: another carmgr is already running

When I check the /var/lib/pcmcia/stab I get

Socket 0: empty
Socket 1: empty

I tried running ifconfig eth0 up and got

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such
device.

In my search for an answer I found this thread on the
archives of this list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200210/msg00210.html

The problems described there mirror mine, but the
thread terminiates before the solution is found.  (the
only difference in description is that my machine does
not beep when cards are inserted or removed.  But all
outputs are similar enough.

Thanks for any help, ~~nat