Re: Install question 3.0r1

John Plummer wrote:
	Just replaced Suse 7.3 on an HP 5425 Notebook with Debian 3.0r1.
The install went well except I guess I missed something.  The Logitech USB
mouse does not work.  I suspect the USB ports are not turned on.
Is there a straightforward way to init those ports now and get the mouse working? If not, what step did I miss in the installation?
	I saw the emails in the archive about the USB mouse in 2.4 but did not
want to assume anything in 3.0.  Thanks,
jcp

Make sure your USB ports are enabled in the BIOS (if it has an option to disable them.)

Run "modconf" and load the following modules from the kernel/drivers/usb section:
  Either "usb-uhci" or "usb-ohci" depending on your hardware.
  hid
  mousedev

The modules "usbcore" and "input" should have been loaded by modconf automatically when the above three modules were loaded.

Exit modconf and do
  cat /dev/input/mice
to test that the mouse is working. You should see a bunch of junk appearing in the terminal whenever you move the mouse.

If everything seems to be working, set up gpm or X or whatever to use /dev/input/mice as the mouse device.