Re: Unidentified subject!

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:12:18 -0500 (EST)
Mitch Maltenfort <mmalten@comcast.net> wrote:

> No error message, it just isn't able to contact any IP.
>
> I don't see any dhcp line in /etc/network/interfaces, so that may be
> something I need to do.
>
> Also, if this is relevant, I couldn't seem to use the cable modem when
> I did the Woody install -- although it did say 'you need a dhcp server
> to configure the network' and I just have a Linux box and a cable
> modem.   Does that mean I had a problem from the start?
>
> I'm using the eepro100 module.  I selected it during install.

You won't be able to see the cable modem anyway. You'll see an ethernet
interface, and your ethernet interface will see a dhcp server.

read "man interfaces" and edit /etc/interfaces to automatically get a
dhcp address for eth0.

Do "dpkg -l dhcp-client"; if it doesn't show as installed apt-get it.

Do ifconfig; if it shows eth0 all you need to do at this point is
restart networking: "/etc/init.d/networking restart".

Kevin