OK... Newbie gives up and needs a little help... Dell Inspiron 8200 with Nvidia GEForce 440 GO...

Title: Message
OK... I give up trying this without a little help...

I'm trying to get Debian Linux (woody...2.4.18) onto my Dell Inspiron 8200 with the NVidia GE Force 440 Go video card (64 MB) of memory.

I have run through the installation a couple of times (each time the installation boot recognized my network card but "lost" any networking when the actual boot came up... my last install it worked) to get the network card operating.

I cannot get the Nvidia to work at all in X... I've downloaded NVidia's drivers (the two packages from their site) and tried making them... the "GLX" make works fine, but the "Kernel" package continually gives me errors about a missing header file... but I can find the header file in the location I specify, so something else is not quite kosher.

I tried the drivers included with the latest installation (Debian Woody) and had no luck there... I'm getting frustrated. Maybe I need some encouragement, maybe there's a suggestion that will work, maybe I need my head examined!

Any suggestions, links, or anything would be appreciated...

Thank you!  8D

Pete