Re: checking root-filesystem after crash

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:18:34 -0400
Derek Broughton <dbroughton@netcom.ca> wrote:

> Regularly...  I have an as-yet-undiagnosed bug that locks me up and requires a
> poweroff to reset, so I get the fsck on boot messages all the time.  It mounts
> the root system read-only to fsck it when required. Then remounts it when the
> fsck is done - and you don't actually get to boot till it's all finished. Since
> / is an ext3 partition, it doesn't usually need to fsck it, but the hard reset
> almost always requires a second boot because the PCMCIA card doesn't come up,
> and I run into the 20-mount limit at least once a week.

Three weeks ago I was bitten by the Dell PCMCIA bug, and it caused a crash which took down the root filesystem (I was using ext2). I decided to change to JFS and have been happy with it thus far. It's included in the official kernel beginning with 2.4.20.

I had already been using ext3 on my other systems, so I was considering a change already.

Kevin