Re: OK... Newbie gives up and needs a little help... Dell Inspiron 8200 with Nvidia GEForce 440 GO...

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:51:07 -0500
"Peter S. Hayes" <phayes02@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> I cannot get the Nvidia to work at all in X... I've downloaded NVidia's
> drivers (the two packages from their site) and tried making them... the
> "GLX" make works fine, but the "Kernel" package continually gives me
> errors about a missing header file... but I can find the header file in
> the location I specify, so something else is not quite kosher.

The latest NVIDIA drivers don't work.

With kernel 2.4.20 I use the .2880 versions.
With kernel 2.4.18 I use the .2313 versions.

Be sure and read the NVIDIA READMEs carefully. The thing I missed the first time I did this (about a year and a half ago) is that I needed a "fully configured source tree". That means get the full kernel sources, do menuconfig or xconfig, and make dep. Make a symbolic link /usr/src/linux to point to the top of the kernel source tree.

Then, in the top directory of the NVIDIA_kernel tree, do "make". After NVdriver reports it installed OK, go to the top of the NVIDIA_GLX tree and do "make".

If you use kernel-package the drill is a little different.

Kevin