Re: Mail (smtp) config at different locations. Script or ..?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:22:29AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 04:16, Joao Pedro Clemente wrote:
>> Anyway, I'm working at 2 different locations and besides that I also have
>> net at home... This totals 3 different configs to send mail, so I would
>> try to figure out what's best to setup..
>
>For sending mail from my laptop I have Postfix installed and configured to
>send mail via a port on localhost managed by inetd.  inetd spawns a ssh
>tunnel to a server I run to relay the mail.

I've got exim set up to spool locally into a bsmtp queue, and I have
scripts run from cron every minute that detect how connected I am and
send mail appropriately. This spawns an ssh connection back to my home
mail server for relaying.

>> What I really want to know is if I should use my mail client internal
>> ability to send/read mail [kmail/sylpheed have pop3/smtp support] or if I
>> should try to setup local mail servers:
>
>I find that pop3s works well for reading mail.  I read all my mail on my
>laptop, so I want to download it all and then spend some offline time reading
>it and composing replies.

I think I've got the right solution for this - the laptop and my home
desktop both use mailsync (a wonderful package) to keep in sync with
the contents of my home mail server. I run this out of cron every
minute at home, but again using the connected scripts above on the
laptop. Maybe I should post / package that script now I think I have
all the bugs ironed out.

This setup means that I can use my desktop for all mail (including
folders) when I'm at home, but the laptop keeps in sync without me
having to read mail twice. So when I'm on the road I get all the mail
locally, but imap keeps things in sync.

The only issues I have with this setup all relate to uw-imapd being
crap, but I'm toying with the idea of hacking on that to improve it,
or even moving over to another imapd like courier.

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer