Mail (smtp) config at different locations. Script or ..?

So I'm seeking for advice here...

This is what I'm facing: I'd like to get a mail client at my laptop to
carry my mail with me everywhere, checking it out at the seaside, in the
sun.. or when I'm facing those 2-hour wait at the dentist...
Anyway, I'm working at 2 different locations and besides that I also have
net at home... This totals 3 different configs to send mail, so I would
try to figure out what's best to setup..

Besides, I would like to get a mail client with threading and coloring
ability, so I've narrowed down my toughts to mutt, kmail and sylpheed.
I was thinking in a mutt/kmail setup, as sylpheed seems to be using
another mail format and besides I'm having some locale problems with it..

What I really want to know is if I should use my mail client internal
ability to send/read mail [kmail/sylpheed have pop3/smtp support] or if I
should try to setup local mail servers:

As I'm the single user of my laptop, this seems a overkill:
- I only fetch mail of 1 user (me) from my [1] pop3 account.
- I only send mail from me to some smtp server

However, I see there can be some advantages:
- Easier to change smtp server, maybe with a script that checks the ip
I've got from dhcp and then decides what will be my server (I would need
to get a mapping table [myDhcpIp - smtpServerToUse].
- Can "send" mail ignoring whether I'm online or not - the server would
take care of that and send whenever I got online(?)
- Mail is stored locally and not in mail client - can use different
mail client without needing to fetch/sincronize(?)
- Can use mutt
- Maybe can work without needing a smtp server to forward to(?)

So, basically, I am wondering: Is setting up a local mail service, just to
serve myself, a overkill or not?
Any advice from anyone who uses it's laptop to send mail from different
locations, and from anyone who can validate my "(?)"'s ?

Thank you
Joao Clemente

Ps: Maybe I'm just needing to be pointed to some documentation I should
read to understand what's this all about?

--
		        	Joao Pedro Clemente
        			jpcl @ rnl.ist.utl.pt