Re: making a new kernel

Hi,

Your point is well taken, but consider I've never had to do this before
with any Linux kernel I've built, so I have some history to suggest the
approach I took was valid, and the deviance unusual.

I was also concerned that this was evidence that something hadn't been
chosen, or accomplished properly, in the install process (I'm new to
Debian - never got it to work before) or there might have been a
conceptual problem (mine) with the structure of names.

There's a tremendous flood of info out there just on the aspects of a
system that's working perfectly - add in possible errors, omissions, or
mis-configurations, and the places to consider rise geometrically.  I
have no way of knowing what they might be yet, except for experience
with other distros to date.  I was hoping I could just get a quick nudge
in the direction to look.

With the quick, short answers people gave, I was able to fix the problem
quickly, and that is helpful for beginners - we need a working system to
learn about, otherwise the task is too daunting to proceed.

I have been using Red Hat most recently, and this is my main system -
all my mail, business, etc. goes through here.  Not having it working
isn't bearable for very long.  Now I'm trying to get support for syncing
my Clie PDA.  I can tolerate not having that working for a bit longer
than mail, but it's a make or break issue - this isn't just hobby stuff
for me.

I have re-installed Debian (twice today) because I was leery about my
choices.  I find it helpful to do this anyway, as it familiarizes me
with the process, and that has paid off when I've had to reconstruct a
system, or migrate to another version or distro.

Again, your point is well taken, and helpful.  Although I've never
needed it before, I'll take to reading the kernel docs.  I'll get there
- but there's a lot of "there" to get to with Linux.

Much of what I've written here isn't in response to you particularly,
just taking the opportunity to mention my viewpoint on the list.

Cheers,
Bret