Re: making a new kernel

Hi,

Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade to a recent kernel, and I'm running into an odd
> problem.
>
> When I try to run 'make xconfig' I receive this output:

[...]
> When I try 'make menuconfig' I receive this output:

[...]
> However, dselect says ncurses-bin is indeed installed.  Can anyone
> suggest what I might fix or do to correct this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bret

others answered correctly, but did you read the description for
kernel-source-2.4.20 ?

in dselect, aptitude, apt-cache, web page, whatever:
http://packages.debian.org/kernel-source-2.4.20

"You may configure the kernel to your setup by typing "make config" and
following instructions, but you could get ncursesX.X-dev and tkX.X-dev
and try "make menuconfig" for a jazzier, and easier to use
interface. Also, please read the detailed documentation in the file
/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.20/README.headers.gz."

So just reading the description of the package puts you in the correct
way...

Is NOT that you have to dig on documentation to find it.

Best regards,

Jaume