Re: CD-reader on SONY VAIO SR27K

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:43:13PM -0000, blair.kelly@att.net wrote:
> Andrew Perrin wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this will work -- on my Vaio (PCG-Z505HS)
> > when I boot to the CD-ROM I have to enter the following
> > at the emergency boot prompt:
> >
> > linux linux ide1=0x170,0x376
> >
> > and then it works. (This is from memory - can't find my
> > notes right now.)  YMMV.
>
> It does not seem to work for me, but remember that I am
> NOT trying to boot from the CD-ROM, I am just trying to
> use it to read CDs.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what the message that I get
> in /etc/syslog when I insert the PCMCIA card for the
> CD-reader means:
>
> : cardmgs[339]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> All suggestions gratefully received!
>
> Blair

The "resource" in question might be IRQs - check your
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts and make sure it isn't being told to allow the
cardbus to use an IRQ that something else is hungry for.

Common contenders are your IR port (often irq 7) sound ports (usu. 5 but it
can vary) and pci or compact-pci NIC cards (varies, but especially
annoying when they steal IRQ 9, which many things are otherwise willing
to share).

All the best

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078